How to Apply Visa to South Korea

Finally, collected my visa from Korean Embassy in Ampang today. I wish there's no processing fee like Japanese embassy but if this what it takes to study Korean, so be it. Nothing is free in life anyway.

For Malaysians, you will need no visa to South Korea if you stay less than 90 days. Just enter as tourist. However, I need one as I will enter Korea more than 90 days, as a student and visa is needed to apply for Alien Registration Card (ARC).

The consulate for visa processing is opened between 8.30am to 11.30 am.

Last week, I went at 8.00am as the embassy's website stated the opening time is from 8.00am to 12 noon but the notification in front of the guard's post said differently. I wish I had called in before I came.

Korean Embassy's details:
Phone: 03 4251 2336
Fax: 03 4251 9066

The processing is brisk if you brought in complete documents:
  1. Copy and original - University in Korea's acceptance letter 
  2. Copy and original - University in Korea's receipt of payment (your semester fee)
  3. Copy and original - your latest diploma/degree/Master/Phd cert
  4. Financial statement of latest 3 months - verified by the bank
  5. Travel itinerary - return ticket 
  6. One piece of passport photo - doesn't matter white/blue background 
  7. Passport
  8. Visa application form
As I will resign from my job once I depart to Korea, the embassy needs an additional document - proof of resignation letter from my employer.

Once you have submitted the documents, you will be issued an official receipt with the date when you can collect your visa.

Processing fee:
RM96 - single entry (within 90 days)
RM160 - single entry (over 91 days)
RM256 - multiple entry

Processing time:
3 business days

Visa Collection time: 
3.00pm to 4.00pm

My advice: Bottom line, call in the embassy to check what documents you need to bring before you go as different documents are needed for different type of visas. Make sure that you have ample amount in your account if you're not sponsored ie. scholarship. The more money in your account is better as visa officer will definitely scrutinize your financial situation in detail just to make sure that you aren't entering Korea for illegal work and stuff.

Post a Comment


Lily 84 said…
less than a month to go akak..May Allah make it easier for u. Hope everything runs as scheduled. Amin :)
hazaryu said…
saya pun excited sekali baca akak punye entry..all the best kak!!-azah^^
EDWINA said…
Hello! I've been reading your blog for quite a while and also have interest in pursuing korean language studies in Korea (Currently learning in a korean sch in SG!).

May I just ask,

how many sems are you studying there for? :)
Zarina BT2K said…
Hi Edwina,
I will undergo winter semester (3 months) for a start. If I like the program I will continue with the next level.
Good luck =). Your visa processing is way different than mine, but it's cool that I know it's different in each country.
beanie said…
Hi there, can I ask you some questions?

1) I'd like to ask how does your bank verify your bank statement? Do you go to the bank and get it stamped or just print it out?

2) Secondly, how expensive is it to live and study in S.Korea for 3 months? Can you give me an estimated budget?

How was it? Did you like the experience?

Thank you. :) Hope you can reply me.
Zarina BT2K said…

1) show the photocopy and your bank book to the bank officer and he/she will certify it.

2) depends..if for eg
10 weeks study in sogang = RM5,000
1 month daily expenses = RM3,000 (room rental, transportation, food) - very basic

3 months ~ RM15,000 (not including flight tix)

I love it of course..the reason why I'm still here in Korea till now ^^
June Lau said…
Hello! I would like to ask when you were applying for your visa, is a return air ticket a must? This is because I am still not sure how many semesters I would be studying. Thanks!
Shenyee said…
Hi Zarina, may I know currently which type of visa you are holding in Korea? Any working visa can I apply to work there? Did any employer willing to sponsor or assist on the application of working visa in Korea?

Amanda said…
If I am going to study in Gyeonggi-Suwon International School, what visa should I get?
Thank you.^^