I would like to thank my friend Pei Lin from Taiwan who helped me to save on my transportation fee.
We had class together at Korean Foundation and she accidentally pulled out her Seoul Subway Season Pass instead of the regular access card to exit the building.
When she was denied the exit, I was curious and she explained what was the card for.
Seoul Subway Season Pass (정기승차권)
Let me just give you a rough idea on how much I spent for transportation in Seoul.
I have classes everyday in the morning and 3 times at night. Assuming that I :
- use T-Money card
- calculate the cost just for my classes on weekday
- only by subway
- no sightseeing
Sinchon station to Samsung station = 1,250won
2 times per day x 5 days x 4 weeks = 40 times = 50,000 won
Sinchon station to City Hall station = 1,050won
2 times per day x 3 days x 4 weeks = 24 times = 25,200won
Total = 75,200won ~ RM215
On monthly basis, my transportation fees surpassed RM400 mark easily inclusive of sightseeing and touring on weekdays.
According to Pei Lin, I will save about 25,000won with Seoul Subway Season Pass (정기승차권).
Talk about saving!! 25,000won is worth a few lunches or even a piece of summer clothes! Not much but still it helps for a 백수 like me.
Term and condition of Seoul Subway Season Pass (정기승차권).
More detail info is here (Only in Korean)
- Card can be purchased at major subway stations for 2,500 won. (I bought mine at Hongdae Station).
- Card can be reloaded only at subway stations ie the normal T-Money reload machine. Just put your card first and a different interface will automatically popped up.
- Card can only be used for Seoul Metro subways - 9 lines and up to 20km / 25km (Section 1).
- Card can be used for 60 rides per month. If 60 rides finish before a full month then you need to reload. If you use less than 60 rides per month, the remaining rides will not be carried forward.
- For 60 rides, per 30 days = 46,200 won.
Just for calculation sake
46,200won / 60 rides = 770won per ride!!
I should have known this earlier!!
If you stay for a week or so in Seoul, then just buy the T-Money.
If you stay more than a month, this card is worth the price.
As I checked with the subway officer, you may use the card to Gimpo Airport but not to Incheon Airport.
If your ride is more than 20km/25km (which is out of Section 1, a few rides will be automatically deducted from the 60 rides.
My only complaint about this card: Why it can't be used for bus?!! ^^
Labels: Seoul, Transportation