Namdaemun Market @ 남대문 시장

I love it when the air is cool and crisp.
The sky is sparkling blue.
One fine day in Seoul.
I can't really remember where the building selling this stuff located.
When I arrived there, I met the place by accident while trying to
avoid the heavy rain. Just when I turned my head to the left, I
saw the bling bling..so shiny and I was almost blinded. The building
has a few levels, I just stopped at the lowest floor where they made
the brooches right there.
According to my friends who love accessories, the design of Korean
brooches are not the same as in Malaysia. I don't know how true it is cause
I don't really do shopping much. I'm a shop-not-a-holic..hehe..

멍게 - meongge. If you like raw food aka sashimi, try this.
The inside of 멍게 - meongge and eat it with gochujang - spicy sauce.
Pretty hanbok for the little ones at home.

How to go to Namdaemun Market
If you stay in Myeongdong area, it is pretty near and walking distance to the market.
It is located near to Hoehyeon subway station. Under Namdaemun-no (the main street to the north of the market) is an extensive underground arcade - Hoehyeon Underground Shopping Arcade

Tips:
  • Go to the market early in the morning like 09:00
  • Bargain like crazy because the initial prices of the goods are normally much higher. For shoppers like me who hates to haggle, go straight to Lotte Mart or Home Plus if you only want to buy candies or groceries. Cheaper and no haggling needed.  
Myeongdong to Hoehyeon
2 minute, 1 station, 0.7km
900 won by T-Money, 1,000 won by cash
Hoehyeon subway station, Line 4, exit

What to shop at Namdaemun Market
You can shop for souvenirs to bring home but I suggest that you can get better choices in Insadong.
  • clothes - I prefer going to Dongdaemun to shop for clothes than here.
  • shoes
  • fabrics
  • tableware
  • flowers
  • vegetables
  • ginseng products - I bought a few packets for friends and family. There's one good brand recommended by Min Young.
  • toys
  • watches
  • sunglasses
  • brooch (accessories)
  • Hallyu souvenirs
Tourist spot by walking distance from Namdaemun Market
  • Namdaemun (Great South Gate)
  • Seoul Station
  • Deoksu Palace
  • City Hall
Video courtesy of Andyhwaiting

Check out more comprehensive details of Namdaemun Market at Asia-Planet.

Pictures courtesy of Iris, Fiza, Nyna and Hanim

Post a Comment

7 Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello!

First of all, Merry Christmas!

I really find your blog enjoyable especially to me who is a fan of Korean culture (due to my fanaticism of Korean pop culture. hehe). I'm learning a lot from your posts! I just thought I'd let you know.

I want to go to South Korea someday! But I will have to save hard first for plane tix! Hehe~


- Kai
(from Philippines)
Zarina BT2K said…
Hi Kai,
Thanks for dropping by ^^
The time will come someday..fighting!.
Korea is waiting for you!
anakmatnawi said…
Hi Zarina,

Nk tnya..brooch n hanbok agak2x brapa won ek?

Antara Nandaemun n Dongdaemun, mna murah lg klau nk shopping souvenirs?

Thanks.
Zarina BT2K said…
Hi anakmatnawi,

brooch and hanbok ada banyak jenis, so the price depends on the material and the size.

biasanya banyak dekat namdaemun. dongdaemun pun ada tapi tak sebanyak namdaemun.
Loo Sin said…
Hello there,

I am going to Korea on the first week of november.

I am still thinking of whether to stay near myeong dong, or to stay near jongno 3.

Any ideas?
MY plan for the trip is to shop on clothing and more on sightseeing.
Zarina BT2K said…
Hi Loo Sin,
Both Myeongdong and Jongno-3 ga is near to Namdaemun but if you love shopping, you will not regret it if you stay in Myeongdong. Namdaemun is just walking distance.
Anonymous said…
Akak,kalau nak beli set chopstick and spoon korea insadong ok x?where is thr cheapest place to buy all that?