Deoksu Palace @ Deoksugung

Today, I rambled through tonnes of Korea's pictures and couldn't believe myself that I forgot to publish the post for Deoksugung palace of last year's trip!! The fact that I'm getting old really hit me on this time..aigoo..hehe.

I visited Deoksugung palace during Chuseok holiday while I stayed with Chi Won (Couchsurfing) around October 2009.  However, she had to work on that day although it was still Chuseok holiday. I toured Seoul by myself and decided to visit Deoksugung palace. Chi Won's mother woke up early and packed fruits for my snack. I was so touched by her gestures. She is just like my own mother! That's why I don't feel homesick in Korea. These warm people..aishh..Suddenly, it brought tears to my eyes when I remember them.

I went to Deoksugung palace, Namdaemun, Myeongdong, Yeoido Park and Ewha University on the same day but my camera's battery went flat right after Deoksugung palace. A bit of regret though because I couldn't capture Ewha University (E-dae)'s pictures.

There's a reason why I wanted to visit Deoksugung Palace.

I am a bit shy to say it..but what the heck. My confession...tada!

Saranghae..heheh. Because of this guy, Lee Jun Ki. 

Lee Jun Ki starred in a Japan-Korea collaboration movie; Virgin Snow. There was once in the movie towards  the ending part, Lee Jun Ki and the heroin Aoi Miyazaki promised to meet at Deoksugung palace. Why they met there? I won't tell...just to keep the suspense more. Watch the movie! ^^

Deoksugung, also known as Gyeongun-gungDeoksugung Palace, or Deoksu Palace, is a walled compound of palaces in Seoul that was inhabited by various Korean royalties until the Japanese occupation of Korea around the turn of the 20th century. Source : Wikipedia

Deoksugung palace is not so big compared to its counterparts like Gyeongbukgung or Changdeokgung palace but it's more like a relaxation place for me. I finished Tuesdays With Morrie book there while having my  fruits and enjoying the good weather with some pigeons around me. 

I took a 40 minutes bus from Yongin and arrived at City Hall
around 10 in the morning. The city was so silent!

Many people paid respects to parents and distant family by going
back to their hometown. I felt like in Malaysia where Kuala Lumpur's 
road would be empty during major public holidays.

I walked along the major road and found HSBC there. Before coming,
I was worried that HSBC would not be here in Seoul! ^^

Lotte Department Store near Euljiro subway station.
FYI, Euljiro station is very near to Myeongdong and 
Namdaemun. If you stay in Euljiro, both places are walking
distance.

Located in front of Euljiro Station but I didn't dare to try. I imagine
what if the door open while I'm doing my BIG business? Hahaha..I 
have a wild imagination.

Many kids will come here during summer because of this fountain. 
Could you read that? 서울 = Seoul. There's a stage there where
many performances are held for the public.

Seoul! Peace and me..hehe.

Deoksugung palace front gate.

Ticket counter. 1,000 won for adult. The palace is closed on Mondays.

The memorable path in Lee Jun Ki's Virgin Snow.

Kim Hyun Joong and Lee Min Ho for Samsung's mobile.

There was some restoration going on so I couldn't see some parts
of the palace like this one here. 
There's a free guide service for the visitors too but this
time I skipped the English guide. Just wanted to wander by myself.

Honestly, I couldn't see any differences between the other palaces.
The designs, colors all seem the same to me. Perhaps, only the
expert knows.


Reminded me of temples in Japan.

The ceiling's paint is fading. Sooner or later, they need to restore it. 

A small fountain in the palace.

The gazebo where I had my fruits while finishing
Tuesdays with Morrie.



The ministers or officials stone, from the 9th to the 1st at the most front.

The Haechi was smiling while a dragon fly was on its head. 
Hehehe..cute.

Another King Sejong's statue in here.

Deoksugung palace Museum of Arts. You may need to pay
separate admission fee to enter.


Natural water for drinking.

Some ahjummas were playing a traditional game.

We have this game in Malaysia too! You could see the child was
wearing hanbok. Some people would wear hanbok during Chuseok
holidays but mostly won't. 

A traditional board game; Yut (Four-Stick Game).
I told the ahjusshis that I wanted to take their pictures while they were playing.
They laughed away and played a few rounds for me. Such a sporting ahjusshis! They tried to
explain the rules to me but I couldn't understand them! They could only
speak Korean. Aishhh..I wish I had studied more Korean before coming. T_T





How to goSubway lines 1 & 2, City Hall Station, exits 3 & 12, towards Deoksugung (Palace) 

Post a Comment

6 Comments

Unknown said…
Annyeonghasaeyo onni! I'm an avid reader of your blog. In fact it helped me a lot for my trip to Korea last December. I remember going to Deoksugung during winter. The wind was violent, the temperature was subzero and to top it off, some parts of the palace was under construction. With your pictures, now I know how it'd look like in its best condition. Thanks! hehe. Nevertheless, my trip there was memorable. Keep writing!
Siti Zainal said…
hi.
where r u staying in korea?
im in busan.
and how are u going to celebr8 raya here in korea?
Anonymous said…
Ahhh I wish I can go on my own but I don't know if I can survive.
Zarina BT2K said…
Hi Shici.shorty,
thanks for dropping by ^^
I'm now in Malaysia.
Can't wait to celebrate Hari Raya with my family.
Sealamat Hari Raya!!
Zarina BT2K said…
Hi Nurul,
I'm glad that you love your Korean experience. Are you going again? AirAsia is going there now. ^^
Zarina BT2K said…
Hi Hazzie,
Sure you can, don't worry too much. Provided you plan and prepare before you go yeah?