How To Buy Fabric In Dongdaemun


Dongdaemun Fabric Market

I am not much a DIY person myself so when I took up the elective subject on Home and Cooking during my secondary school; my teacher sewed me all the apron and test materials in exchange of me cleaning the study room. ^^

I am that lazy..yeah.

Last week, my guests who are great seamstresses went to Dongdaemun to find fabric for their projects.

Honestly, I don't have the slightest interest in sewing or finding fabric.
The closest was me buying a pair of Baju Kurung at Jalan Masjid India for 100 ringgit or so. That's it.


But now I'm regretting it..I should have at least stepped on that sewing machine..agagagaga. 

My guests and me went into Dongdaemun Shopping Complex, which is just next to currently constructed JW Marriot Hotel near Dongdaemun Subway Station. 


I was intimidated and engulfed by the huge HUGE..I mean massive of fabric options!!


Suddenly I imagined the Project Runway Korea participants running around in this building sighting the best materials for their models. 


So, how do we jump into the fabric buying process at Dongdaemun Shopping Complex? 


The best is if you speak Korean or bring a Korean with you to do the bargain. 

You can take this sample home and just give them a
call if you want to order more.

Not easy if you just want to buy a yard or so. Although there are some sellers who can actually do that but many of them only display samples and they need to call for order from the warehouse. Don't expect your order to complete in an hour. 


We bought at 9am and the order received at our hotel the earliest is at at 1pm and if you buy a log like more than 60 yards for example, they will send the material to your hotel for FREE. 


By the way, they are closed on Sundays. 


They cut the fabric according to yard or 'ma' not meter here for your reference. 


One more thing, the fabric is seasonal as you know that Korea has 4 seasons. Now they start selling fabric for autumn already.


Most of the fabric starts at about 6,000won per yard. If you buy a lot, you can ask for cheaper price. I asked up to 4,500won per yard. for 80yards per sample that we bought.


The building has 4 blocks; A, B, C and D. You will definitely lose your way on your first, two or three attempt. ^__^


How to go to Dongdaemun Fabric Market?



Dongdaemun Station, Line 1 or 4, Exit 9.
It's just next to currently constructed JW Marriot Hotel.
If you walk from Doota, cross the river.




Post a Comment

5 Comments

MK said…
I went here during my last trip! The place is so huge! Really had fun exploring the whole place :)
HanHan said…
Thanks for the tips ! Your blog, really amazing and helpful. I love the way you write your post :)

Anyway, I'm going to seoul on early to mid september 2012..not aumtumn yet I take it..I do hope it is beautiful.
Also I wanna ask you,that 5 days M pass for buses and trains are they worth it?

Thanks again :)
Marcus Chong said…
Hello :P

I stumbled upon your website
and just wanted to say that
you are doing a great job.

Keep up the good work,and
good luck with your Korean studies :)

Take care from a fellow Malaysian
who loves everything Korean.

Marcus Chong
Anonymous said…
Hi.. I am in seoul right now.. Trying to look for places that sell alot of fabrics...do u have any suggestions?
Zarina BT2K said…
Hi,

This is the place with a lot of fabric ^^