Studying Korean in Korea for FREE

I'm now attending FREE classes every:

1-Tuesday and Friday at Seoul Global Center, City Hall - 7.00pm to 8.30pm - upper beginner

SGC is using Kyunghee University's text book and I bought 
this for 22,000 won

2-Wednesday at Korean Foundation, Jonggak - 7.00pm to 9.00pm - lower intermediate

Korean Foundation published their own book for 17,000 won.

3- Saturday near Sookmyung University -4.30pm to 5.00pm - intermediate (Kongbubang). Just pay 1,000 won after each class for the material fee.

My semester with Sogang University will be ending on 17th February and I have about a week to spend with my friends before everyone going to their respective home country. Some of them will continue with Sogang University, some like me will continue with FREE classes and some will take the night class due to job commitment during the day.

So far I love the energetic teachers at Seoul Global Center (SGC) and Korea Foundation. While SGC is only a review class for me but Korea Foundation's is pretty much intensive and I hope I could keep up with the speed. I love both teachers because surprisingly both of them have so much drive!

That is the only the FREE part.

The scarier part is...

Cost of living:
  1. Dormitory/Hasukjip/Goshiwon - a decent one starts from 3 squared metres with no private bathroom starts from 400,000won per month - includes breakfast and dinner
  2. Daily expenses - if you're really frugal, you can get by with 300,000 won per month. (lunch + transportation fee)
  3. Sightseeing, shopping and entertainment would need more $$$.
For your information;

Current price of:
  1. regular kimbap starts from 1,500won at Kimbap Nara or Chonguk.
  2. mineral water of 500ml starts from 500won
  3. decent cappucino can starts from 3,500won onwards
  4. fruits are expensive but the banana starts from 2,500won (the cheapest I've ever bought)
So if you want to stay in Korea with a tourist visa for a year to get the FREE Korean lesson, how much money should you save?

400,000 won x 12 months = 4,800,000 won
300,000 won x 12 months = 3,600,000 won
Total = 8,400,000 won ~MYR23,000

So expensive? Yes.... You need to save a lot and find some extra cash to support your life expenses too. I would say cash flow is better. Get creative! ^^

What about getting a scholarship? I'm thinking about it..but I'm too lazy though to study all over again. I just want to study things that I'm interested in ie. Korean language and study the culture by travelling and interacting with Korean.

How to be fluent in Korean Language faster?
  • Find a few Korean penpals 3-4 months ahead and build the trusted relationship there, meet them once you're in Korea and practise
  • Try to do homestay
  • Mingle only with Koreans
  • Offer free language exchange
  • Don't stop talking in Korean although you will tend to create blunders..don't worry
  • Read in Korean loudly while you are alone
  • Memorize a lot of new vocabularies (once you enter Intermediate, new words help sentence construction a LOT)
  • Study only with fun material which relates to your interest - like KPOP lyrics, Korean drama, Naver web cartoon, Naver junior

Post a Comment

18 Comments

Anonymous said…
JaRiNa 안녕하세요, interesting life you have there. How I wish I have the time and resources to go to S.Korea to study the language and culture aswell. As of now, I have to make do with TTMIK.com and Korean Wiki Project. Do you any recommendation on study books for beginners? Might buy 1 or 2 during my visits this year. 감사합니다!

~fieL
Anonymous said…
salam kak zarina,
nak tnye how to find korean penpal? akak boleh suggestkan website or anything related?

saya tgh belajar bhs korea ni and mmg baguslaa klu ada partner untuk kite practise kan.. :)
Kak Mahh said…
Seronok,belajar pelbagai ilmu dan budaya di negara asing. Selamat belajar...
jaja said…
slm anonnymous..

sy jaja. hai :) kalau awak nk cr penpal, boleh try cr dkt sini tt4you.com

jaja
Anonymous said…
tq jaja. noted :))

-aimi-
PaE said…
Hi. interested to learn Korean language and their culture as well. Thanks for your helpful info. I wish I'll manage to be there soon ^_^
baby beaver said…
kak zarina!!!!!

just to inform u, saya akan dtg lg ke seoul dec ni, hihi... kali ni wajib carik kedai hp free... last year saya pergi 12 hari... kali ni saya up sket, 18 hari... x dpt sebln, cm ssh je nk dpt cuti... :(

so, akan trus folo blog akak sbb nk study byk lg for my longer trip this time...

btw, psl goshiwon or haksujib tu, akak akan duduk kt sana jgk ke? klu btol2 yg akak tau dkt btol area seoul yg okay, akak post ek... sbb bile gugel, saya x brp fhm... link akak bg aritu pn dkt naver, lg la... baca bole, tp x paham, hehe...

ok, tq kak zarina.... tgh kmpl duit ni... weee~
Jack said…
Hi,
I was just wondering if you're aware of any other tour guide in Korea. I've tried to contact some that was provided (listed on this site), but a couple had ceased their operation and a few more doesn't take any group with just two people. I'd love to mindlessly walk around Korea, but, the only Korean I know is to say "Hi"... And how to introduce myself... It'd be nice if I can have someone to show me around :)
hazziie said…
Hi, I'll be going Korea in a month's time and I was wondering if you know places/counters where I can get buy tickets for Big bang's Big Show?
Zarina BT2K said…
Hi Jack,
Please refer to http://budgettravel2korea.blogspot.com/p/tourist-guide.html.

I can be your guide with a fee.
Zarina BT2K said…
Baby Beaver,
akak tak duduk di goshiwon/hasukjib sbb duduk di Incheon bersama keluarga Korean.

kwn2 akak yg belajar di Sogang ramai yg tinggal di goshiwon/hasukjib tapi mereka minimum kena tinggal sebulan, ada yg bayar minimum 350,000 won sebulan tapi takde free food.

Ada yg bayar 400,000 won - free b/fast n dinner (nasi + ramen + kimchi + side dishes) and ada free internet (cable, not wifi) but shared bathroom.

600,000 won above ada private bathroom + tv + dapur kecik

tp sume bilik ni saiz dia cume 3 meter to 4 meter squared.
Zarina BT2K said…
Fiel,
For book that I recommended, please check this post
http://budgettravel2korea.blogspot.com/2012/01/korean-grammar-in-use-korean-book.html
Nurul said…
Hello Zarina, your blog is very informative I must say. Helped me alot when I was in Korea for a week last summer. Boleh tak kalau buat breakdown apa je untuk 300k won ni;

Daily expenses - if you're really frugal, you can get by with 300,000 won per month. (lunch + transportation fee)

Sebab I'm eyeing for a 3 months internship kat Seoul. Makanan+accomadation dah disediakan cuma daily expenses je sendiri. I need to start saving from now kalau nak hidup dengan pocket money RM1000 sebulan.

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE :)
Jack said…
@Zarina,
That would be awesome as well :) How much are we looking at? We're basically aiming for frugal ^^
moumoon said…
hey! thank you so much for this guide! i'm looking to head to korea for my school exchange program and would like to settle there in future!
currently studying the korean language in sg (which uses materials from kyunghee uni too) :D
inez zahra said…
This blog is sooo useful^^ I'm going there with my bestfriends later:) Thanks for the Information, it's really useful(:
Anonymous said…
there is something magnificient about south korea and i wish to discover it one day.