Korean Grammar In Use - Korean Book Review

If you ever step down in Korea and would like to purchase a book or two for self-learning Korean back home, I would suggest that you acquire these books (Beginner and Intermediate level).


I just received mine today after purchasing it online last Friday.
Normal delivery is within 1-3 days but was delayed due to Seollal.

They are indispensable.

In my opinion, they are better than Sogang University's text book hence I purchased one for myself. I didn't get the beginner book though as Sogang University's Level 1 and 2 pretty much covered the Korean Beginner level's grammar.  

Why do I think that it's better than Sogang University's text book?

One of my classmates (he's an American) bought this book and recommend that I get one. As I browsed the content of Korean Grammar In Use (Beginner) book, I think "D***...I should have begun my Korean study with this book!!"The explanation is concise and even if I don't have a Korean teacher, I think learning Korean through context is explained quite well by the writer.

Whenever I learn a new grammar, there's a slight nuance or even subtle difference where it can only be differentiated by contextual example. At times I need a native Korean to explain the difference but most of the time I don't have that luxury. Luckily, this book does the job pretty well. Not perfect but well done.

How to buy the book?
I got mine from GMarket (Seller: Libro) as the seller offered 5,000won slash in price than normal bookstore. Normal price is about 23,000 won.

You could purchase "Korean Grammar In Use" at major bookstores like Kyobo or YP but my classmate found this gem near Sinchon station.

The book store is on the same building as 뮤즈헤어

If you walk out from Sinchon Station, Line 2, Exit 1 walk until you pass Hyundai Shopping complex. Cross the small road and look at your right. The bookstore is located on the 3rd floor and you could find all Korean language books in major international language. Sweet!

More pictures in BudgetTravel2Korea Facebook.

Post a Comment

11 Comments

Unknown said…
Unni, both same price? I was thinking of getting the beginner's copy for myself when I'm there this coming March! ^^ Or is it possible to order it online & send it to Malaysia?
Zarina BT2K said…
Carrie,
Nope, different price. Beginner - store price (21,000won. Intermediate - store price (23,000won). Both includes CD

It's possible for international delivery but and delivery fee is applicable.
Anonymous said…
I'll be in Korea early July. Will be staying Namsan area. The store is near? Just got into Korean very recently. Now hovering at TTMIK Level 1. ;)

~fieL
Iza Mohd Isa said…
AsSalam Zarina. Apa kabar? Nak tanya, kat GMarket website tu why ada few list with the same titles for both Beginner & Intermediate. If I want to order which one should I choose. Thanks so much & take care :).
Zarina BT2K said…
Fiel,
It's near Sinchon Station.
Namsan is at Myeongdong Station though.
Zarina BT2K said…
W'slm Iza,
Beginner is the yellow book and Intermediate is the green book. If you just started studying Korean, I recommend that you purchase the Beginner version.
Iza Mohd Isa said…
Hi Zarina, thanks :). Yeay, a friend of mine will be going to Korea this 16th Feb, so am going to ask her to buy the book for me :). Thanks again & hope all goes well with your Korean studies. Fighting!
Nini Hartini said…
kak saya nak order buku nie. dah email details ke akak. dapat tak?
Zarina BT2K said…
A'salam Nini,

You Tsuwaibah ke?
Anonymous said…
Salam Sis,

Kalau saya nak order lagi boleh tak lagi?


-Ira-
Nini Hartini said…
yup, email tsuwaibah... malam ni insyaAllah sy transfer duit. thanks kak :)